things i was not, already:
- a believer that eventually, americans will do the right thing
things i am varying degrees of likely not to be, in two to four years:
- legally married under American Federal law
- legal as a person in all American states
things i will almost certainly never get to do now:
- face an election which is not existential
things i cannot fucking believe, even given all of the above:
- That the Americans handed the fucking nuclear codes to a violent, racist misogynist with no fucking impulse control whatsoever and a history of talking about using nukes in the middle east.
Watch out for your friends. People of colour, queers, women just in general – post-Brexit, there was a bunch of violence in Britain against the hate targets, and this was very, very much a hate campaign, and it won. Harassment, pretty reprisals, and imtimidation will be endemic.
It was neat watching Mr. Trump read his victory speech off teleprompters, so carefully. If he hadn’t been spewing a constant stream of lies the whole campaign, if I had any reason whatever to believe a single word of it, I’d even think it was nice.
But in this world, if you’re not a straight white man, you’re a target. Wonder Woman the fuck up, because that’s how it’s gonna be; this was a declaration of war.
I popped in on 4chan a few times last night, watching /pol/, and of course they’re ecstatic – and one thing that struck me was yeah, they hate blacks and Jews and anybody else not white enough for them to varying degrees, but even in victory, they really, and I mean really, hate women.
And at the Trump rally last night, what was it, still, in the audience? “Lock her up!” over and over again.
Reprisals against women, large and small – that’s what they’re looking forward to the most. Ending feminists. Ending the “cucks.”
So guess what, kids. We’re all supervillains now.
eta: Anna has a post up, here.