It's a big list today, yep. While it's not ordered very well, a lot of it deals with Republican efforts to hide COVID-19 deaths, downplay the epidemic, and generally push "reopening the economy" while letting larger and larger numbers of people die.
( Collapse )
- Texas Gov. Admits Dangers of Reopening State on Private Call With Lawmakers
- Wait, we had an even worse epidemic 100 years ago. Why didn't it wreck the economy?
- Ohio House Republicans move to limit Health Director Amy Acton’s authority [EDITOR: The governor there is one of the few Republicans not on the 'herd immunity' plan at this point, so the Republicans in the state legislature are moving against him.]
- Trump will urge Supreme Court to strike down Obamacare
- Trump touted reopening. Privately, his team sounded alarms.
- This might be the lowest point in the 74 year history of the Council of Economic Advisers.
- ‘We were at a COVID party’: People hold coronavirus gatherings in Walla Walla area
- DeVos issues rules for sexual misconduct investigations in schools, bolstering protections for the accused [EDITOR: Also shielding schools.]
- Trump: You have to be warriors; some may die; get over it.
- The VA signed a $34.5 million deal for N95 masks with a company that advertised “block chain” solutions and had only existed for 2 years. I ended up on a private jet, following one of the most bizarre stories of my career.
- Yeah, the "cubic model" was just Excel.
- On the Murder of Ahmaud Arbery, a Modern Day Lynching
- Uncontrolled infection seems to be the preferred approach of the right
- [Arizona] State health department tells university COVID-19 modelling team to stop work, limits data access [EDITOR: The university's group was saying that extending lockdown to end of May was the only way _not_ to go straight back to exponential. The GOP governor is ignoring that, and shutting them down so they can't generate more forecasts.]
- Top Republican fundraiser and Trump ally named postmaster general, giving president new influence over Postal Service
- Trump order to paint border wall black could drive up cost $500 million or more
- Trump and some top aides question accuracy of virus death toll
( Collapse )